Thursday 20 March 2014

Location, location, location.........


Benbulben, Co. Sligo, Ireland
I am often asked if I have a favourite place or location to photograph. The simple answer is no, or more correctly, the location of the project that I happen to be involved with at the time. Once a project has passed, I always feel that the country or location has given me something in return for my efforts and I look back on the project with fondness. I really can't think of any place I have photographed that I would say 'never going there again'. I'm not sure if that's because I did my research well beforehand or because I became attached to the place as I discovered more about it.
Ty Bach Under a Tree, Tregaron, Ceredigion, Wales


It helps, I think, that I try to photograph in locations that are not always on the tourist trail, even if one exists in some of the places I have found myself. Most of my images are not necessarily about the most obvious aspects of a country or location, although some might be. It also helps that I try to immerse myself in the history, culture and topography of the country or region and by so doing heightens my interest in the place above my immediate photographic needs. In turn this fuels my interest in the place and almost always leaves me with indelible memories and knowledge. 
Pen Gelli Forest, Pembrokeshire, Wales

Very often, although the images I make will be my main point of reference in the future, other memories will linger too. Chance encounters with people on my travels, chance conversations that reveal much more than a casual passing through and area might reveal. Such things are what memories are made of. 


Nuraghi Ruins, Barbagia, Sardinia
In the wilds of the mountainous region of Sardinia for instance, two quite scary looking banditti appeared from nowhere when I was way 'off road' photographing, presumably on their land, some Nuraghi ruins I had spotted. I lifted the focussing cloth to see them looking sternly at me with their arms folded. I did what I always do when I am caught with my camera trespassing, I smiled broadly and said "good day", or in this instance, "buon giorno". They nodded grimly. This was one of those occasions when using a wooden 10" x 8" camera with a huge focussing cloth, black one side, Welsh flag the other has its advantages. You look a twit, but hopefully a harmless one. They pointed to the camera and then to my subject matter. Their English was non-existent but I gathered that they thought I was an archaeologist interested in the ruins. They then pointed to the Welsh flag side of the focussing cloth and recognised it. I think they said something about rugby or maybe Ryan Giggs, or both, I'm not sure. The ice was breaking anyway. 
Barbagia, Sardinia.

I invited them to look through the camera. They were apprehensive at getting under the cloth at first but they did, both of them, at the same time. Confused at first by the upside-down image but when it became clear they were like two excited kids. "Ah! Bellissima!" Watching two heads bobbing side by side under my focussing cloth will be a lasting memory. When they emerged from under they were both beaming. The bright sunlight glinting off their gold fillings as they grinned. From scary banditti to friendly goatherds in a few silly moments. Such encounters are part of what my treasured memories of places are made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment